Monday 13 October 2014

A little bit about The Creeper…

For my first blog post, I thought I would write a little introduction about myself and what I will explore in my blog as well as explain the theme of my blog. 

Firstly, a little bit about myself…
I am currently a 3rd year BSc(Econ) Economics and Geography student at UCL graduating in summer 2015. I specialize in Environmental Geography including hydrology and climate change, as well as Financial Economics. Academically I am also interested in Petroleum and Energy Engineering. I am writing this blog for one of my Geography modules- GEOG3057 Global Environmental Change (https://twitter.com/geog3057) so I thought I would focus on Energy and natural resources and their implications for the environment. In my blog I shall discuss:

(I) The history of fossil fuels combustion;
(II) How and where these are extracted;
(III) Particularly focus on whether we are running out of these resources now (especially oil) and when could this occur;
(IV) Renewable energy and other alternative sources of energy that could be used instead.

I am going to particularly focus on (III) and (IV) using points (I) and (II) as introduction to the topic that I shall be exploring. I am originally Russian although I have spent half of my life in the UK, but my Russian heritage is perhaps where my interest in oil comes from. I also think this is an interesting topic for my blog as I can study the economic benefits for oil producing countries and how it would effect their development once the natural resources runout. Again, most of Russia’s GDP is composed of exporting oil and gas so this gives me the chance to do more research regarding my country. 

There will be regular updates in my blog, and I shall notify about these using Twitter and LinkedIn: 
Furthermore, I also write for the UCL Economics Society magazine on a wide range of topics- I post updates to these articles on my Twitter and LinkedIn too. 
Outside of my academic studies, I enjoy Art and Photography as well as Music, very much, so you might find an occasional photograph or piece of art related to the oil and energy topic in my blog. I am the Photographer and Illustrator for the UCL Under City Lights magazine. 

Now regarding the theme I have picked for my blog and its strange name. This is a Minecraft themed blog, where I am The Creeper. The Creeper is a hostile mob in Minecraft which approaches the player and explodes. My idea was that I could be The Creeper approaching different scientific papers regarding the theme of my blog posts, exploding (analyzing) them and writing a review about them. This Minecraft monster is also green in color which is why I also picked this particular mob out of the game as my blog is related to the environment so I will be exploding over scientific views from the green environmentally friendly point of view. 

The reason I am making my blog Minecraft themed in the first place is because I think Minecraft is actually really interestingly designed from the Geographical point of view and also I like the game. Minecraft is a sandbox independent game, which is all about breaking and placing blocks. Unlike other popular games, there is no shooting and no aim which allows the player to go exploring and in a way create your own game. As a player, you are located in a computer generated infinite world made out of blocks. The game features 61 distinct biomes ranging from deserts to jungles to snowfields, and although slightly unrealistic, players could have several biomes in one Minecraft world thus they are able to walk across terrain consisting of plains, mountains, forests, caves, deserts and various water bodies. From a geographical point of view, I think it is very interesting how the environment completely changes in all the different biomes. Furthermore a player goes mining (hence the name) to collect resources and develop their world which is directly related to my blog. The players are also able to write their own HTML codes and program the game for their needs- when successful these create large online multiplayer modifications to the original game. One of these mods is all about machinery and industries where the game allows you to create a post industrial revolution country with all the technologies and of course to do this oil is one of the main requirements hence the cover picture of my blog is huge oil rig built in a Minecraft sandbox during sunset. 

So I think a creature called The Creeper from Minecraft is a good theme for my blog. 
Below you can find a little video which features The Creeper and some of the Minecraft terrain. 




This is all for now- watch this space for energy and oil updates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment